Prop making - A giant candy floss

        For Mountviews production of 'The Sandman : A Christmas Fairytale' in 2018, I had the opportunity to make a giant candy floss to be used as a prop in the show. 
After consulting with the rest of the team and the props department, we attempted to dye pillow stuffing, which was used as the cotton candy, with fabric dye but this did not take well, so we decided to spray paint it when the base of the structure was complete. 

I began with a large cardboard cone and added some curved pieces to to act as a structure to support the pillow stuffing. 



I also used some chicken wire to cover the circular structure to give it added support, and this material also ensured that it stayed light. 
After this, I applied the stuffing in long, stretched out lengths to mimic the wrapping of cotton candy. 


Once this was done, I began to spray paint! One of the scenic artists also taught me how to dismantle, clean and reassemble a spray gun which was good to learn! 




The pink paint I used ended up being too bright, so I re-sprayed it with a lighter pink. This also gave it some more definition. 
We also added a wooden dowel through the centre which made it stronger and easier to hold, and I re-wrapped the paper base with a thick foam for the same reason, then wrapped it again with a thin card to make it more accurate to the paper cones they use at cotton candy stalls. 




Once this all dried, it was complete! 




Overall, this was a really fun build.  I was able to learn new skills, such as spray-painting and build upon existing ones. 
If I was to re-make this, I would have stretched out the stuffing more as at some points it looks clumpy and unrealistic. I also would have asked for the other prop makers opinion on the pink paint I used before spray painting it, as having to repaint it lost some valuable time, as well as sending progress pictures to the designer so I could get feedback as I went along. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Live shoot in Greenwich Park

Blouseys 7th Birthday